Sociology | Introduction to Sociology
S100 | 20337 | Swando
Sociology is the social science that uses societal structure and large
social patterns to explain human behavior and social problems. In
this introductory course, you will learn to look at things from a
sociological perspective – which means that you will learn how an
individual’s position within the social structure can affect his or
her experiences and opportunities, which in turn affects society in
This course will take a “social problems” approach, which means we
will be applying sociological concepts and theories to examine a
number of problems and controversies that exist in our society. Some
of the questions we will address in class will be:
• Why are so many people in this country unable to get themselves out
• Why are African Americans more likely than whites to be arrested and
• Is the American family really in crisis? How is it changing, and
what effects does it have?
• Why do so many Americans lack health insurance, and how does it
affect our society?
• What explains the gender gap in earnings, and what effects does it
have on individual people and our society?