Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Fencing (1 cr)
E127 | 6415-6418 | Staff
FEE: A special fee of $10 is required and charged at the time of
Two 50 minute periods per week
Instruction in basic skills for foil fencing. Positioning, footwork,
offensive skills and knowledge and skills of directing and judging a bout.
This course should enable you to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of fencing as sport including
2. Perform some of the basic skills of foil fencing while participating in
bout: grip, salute, on-guard, advance, retreat, lunge defense,
engagements, and attacks;
3. Officiate in a bout as a judge or director, and apply the rules.
Fencing foils, jackets and masks are provided. You might want to wear a
cotton glove for the hand you hold your foil in. It should be thin and not
allow for wrist and hand mobility and cotton or some other material that
absorb sweat and is washable.
Students are allowed a maximum of 3 absences. Upon a fourth absence a
student has three (3) options:
1) receive a grade of F;
2) officially withdraw from the class;
3) follow an appeal procedure through your instructor and/or the Elective
Your final grade in E127 Fencing will be computed according to your
performance on skill proficiency (70%) and a written knowledge test (30%).