Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Advanced Basketball (1 cr)
E211 | 6532-6534 | Staff
Two 50 minute periods per week.
Review of fundamental basketball skills, including passing, dribbling,
shooting, rebounding, and defense. Instruction in principles of motion
offense, including spacing, screening, rebounding and
passing. Instruction in man-to-man and zone defenses.
This course should enable you to:
1. Identify the fundamentals of the motion offense and perform them in a
2. Identify the fundamentals of man-to-man and zone defenses and perform
them in a game situation.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the game of basketball, and the rules,
history, and terminology that apply.
The following topics will be covered:
1. Review of basic basketball skills - passing, catching,
dribbling, shooting, rebounding, defensive positioning and footwork.
2. Motion offense - spacing, screening, rebounding, passing, shooting.
3. Man-to-man defense - positioning, fighting screens, taking charges, help
4. Zone defenses - 1-2-2, 2-1-2, 2-3, Box and 1, Diamond and 1.
Students must be dressed in proper attire and ready to play every day.
Street clothes - trousers, sweaters, etc. - are not proper attire. Court
shoes must be worn. Black-soled running shoes are NOT permitted.
Basketballs will be supplied for the class.
Students are allowed a maximum of three (3) absences. Upon a fourth absence
the student has three options:
1) receive a grade of F;
2) officially withdraw from the course;
3) follow an appeal procedure with your instructor and/or the Elective