Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Advanced Karate (1 cr)
E350 | 6585 | Staff
Two 50 minute periods per week
Purple belt technical level or permission of the instructor
Designed to give students an increased understanding and an appreciation of
art of karate and taekwondo. Content emphasis involves advanced
basic taekwondo techniques, one step sparring, forms, and introduction to
fighting. Students should achieve the technical level of a blue belt in
(Korean Karate) by mid-term and brown belt by finals.
To provide an increased level of proficiency and awareness of the following:
1. To provide a knowledge, an understanding, and an appreciation of the
psychological and philosophical fundamentals required to participate in
the martial art, and sport of Taekwondo.
2. To help develop a degree of proficiency that will enable the student to
participate with satisfaction in the sport of taekwondo.
3. To provide an opportunity to develop mental abilities by requiring the
exercise of the powers of judgment, discipline, reasoning, imagination,
and thoughtful deliberation.
4. To develop in each individual a positive attitude toward the use of
5. To encourage the use of karate as a lifetime activity.
6. To provide an understanding of how the kinesiological principles and body
dynamics of karate are applied when performing the skills of taekwondo.
ATTENDANCE: Students are allowed a maximum of three (3) absences. Upon a
fourth absence the student has three (3) options:
1) receive a grade of F;
2) officially withdraw from the course;
3) follow an appeal procedure through your instructor and/or the Elective
Your grade in this class will be determined as follows:
1. One written exam (30%)
2. Two skills exams (70%)
Each student is required to have a martial arts uniform.
Burns, "An Introduction to Karate for Student and Teacher", Kendall/Hunt,