Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Aikido (1 cr)
E100 | 6160 | Staff
COURSE PREREQUISITES: None
2 fifty minute periods per week
1. The Principles of Aikido by Mitsugi Saotome
2. A reading packet will be made available at a local copy store.
This course will introduce the student to basic skills and elements of
Aikido techniques. Class will
include warm-up stretching, practice with partners and line drills. Simple
strikes, pins, ukemi
(rolling and falls) provide the basic physical skills and will be
demonstrated by the students as part
of grading. Understanding proper etiquette, terminology, and related
concepts will be assessed
throughout the course and may also be addressed in written quizzes.
3. To provide a basic understanding of Aikido movement and its principles.
4. To introduce and provide an initial insight into the etiquette and
customs of the Japanese
culture which are practiced in Aikido.
5. To develop cognitive awareness of the body and its movements and to
perceive the same
in a partner.
6. To develop in the student a positive attitude toward the practice of
Aikido and the martial
7. To provide an introductory skill level for dealing with basic forms of
Students are allowed a maximum of three (3) unexcused absences. Upon a
fourth absence the
student has three (3) options:
1. Receive a grade of F;
2. Officially withdraw from the course;
3. Follow an appeal procedure through your instructor and/or the Elective
GRADING: Grades will be based on the following:
Quizzes (2) 10%
Final written exam 20%
2 skills exams 70%
Students must have a white martial arts uniform with white belt. Students
should have the
uniform before the third week of class. No jeans.