Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Fencing (1 cr)
E127 | 6235-6238 | Staff
A special fee of $10 is required and charged at the time of registration.
Above sections Foil
One 50 minute period two times a week
Instruction in basic skills for foil fencing. Positioning, footwork,
defensive and offensive skills
and knowledge and skills of directing and judging a bout.
This course should enable you to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of fencing as sport including
2. Perform some of the basic skills of foil fencing while participating in a
bout: grip, salute,
on-guard, advance, retreat, lunge defense, parries, engagements, and
3. Officiate in a bout as a judge or director, and apply the rules.
Fencing foils, jackets and masks are provided. You might want to wear a
thin cotton glove for
the hand you hold your foil in. It should be thin and not binding to allow
for wrist and hand
mobility and cotton or some other material that will absorb sweat and is
Students are allowed a maximum of three (3) unexcused absences. Upon a
fourth absence a
student has three (3) options:
1. receive a grade of F;
2. officially withdraw from the class;
3. follow an appeal procedure through your instructor and/or the Elective
Your final grade in E127 Fencing will be computed according to your
performance on skill
proficiency (70%) and a written knowledge test (30%).