Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Tennis (1 cr)
E181 | 6298-6300 | Staff
Meets one 50 minute period two times per week for the entire semester.
Beginning instruction in the fundamental skills of tennis including ground
strokes, serves, and
volley. Singles and doubles competition.
This course should enable you to:
1. select tennis equipment that is right for you;
2. demonstrate the proper grips, and techniques for the serve, return of
volley, lob, and overhead;
3. understand the scoring procedures and basic rules of play;
4. identify the etiquette, safety considerations, and basic terminology
associated with the game of
Students are encouraged to have their own tennis racquet. Racquets may be
checked out from
the equipment room in HPER 199 with a student ID. Each student is required
to supply one
NEW can of tennis balls. The instructor will collect the balls and bring
them to class each day.
The balls should be given to the instructor at the second class meeting.
Shoes: Some type of
court shoe; black-soled running shoes and street shoes of any kind are not
Students are allowed a maximum of three (3) absences. Upon a fourth absence
a student has
three (3) options:
1. receive a grade of F;
2. officially withdraw from the class;
3. follow an appeal procedure through your instructor and the Elective
Your final grade in the E181 Tennis will be computed according to your
performance on skill
proficiency tests (70%) and a written knowledge test (30%).