Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Intermediate Modern Dance (1 cr)
E255 | 6359 | Staff
E155; previous dance training or permission of instructor
Designed to allow the student to develop a higher level of technical
modern dance emphasizes the application and analysis of movement principles
essential to dance
training and performance.
This course should enable you to:
1. Assess his/her own technical strengths and limitations
2. Increase student's skill in modern technique
3. Execute proper warm-up exercises and modern combinations
4. Compare and contrast the philosophies of individuals who were prominent
in the development
of modern dance.
Leotards and tights w/out feet; unitards; bike pants; sweat pants, minimal
jewelry; hair worn away
from the face.
Students are allowed a maximum of three (3) absences. Upon a fourth absence
the student has
three (3) options:
1. receive a grade of F;
2. officially withdraw from the course;
3. follow an appeal procedure through your instructor and/or the Elective
Students are expected to attend class. Attendance is worth 90 pts. of the
total grade, i.e., 3 pts.
There will be three written assignments:
1. Technique Self Analysis/Technique Summary
2. Each student will attend two dance concerts within the semester. A
typewritten critique of the
performance will be submitted no later than one week after the concert.
3. Final projects will be discussed and decided upon by the class. Ideas
include a take home test,
a written report, an oral report, and a choreography project.
There will be three performance exams on movement concepts, techniques, and
presented in class.
1. Self Analysis/Technique Summary - 10 pts.
2. Performance Critiques - 20 pts.
3. Performance Exams - 75 pts.
4. Final Project - 45 pts.
5. Attendance - 90 pts.
TOTAL COURSE POINTS - 240 pts.