Health, Physical Education And Recreation | T'ui Shou (Push Hands) (1 cr)
E348 | 6387 | Pearce
E248 Intermediate T'ui Shou or permission of instructor
Two fifty minute periods per week
Loose comfortable clothing: cotton-soled shoes, white shirt and black pants
martial arts uniforms may be substituted. Blue jeans unacceptable.
Introduction to the techniques, skills and strategies of T'ai Chi Ch'uan
T'ui Shou (Push Hands).
T'ui Shou was originally designed as a training level between solo forms and
interaction. Course provides instruction and practice of Yang Style with
additional material from
Peter Ralston's Cheng Hsin and Alternative Directions of Response.
Student should be able to:
1. To refine concentration and attention skills.
2. To refine physical mechanics for lifting and throwing.
3. To develop quickness, anticipation and reaction skills.
4. To develop acute sensitivity to pressure, balance and/or directional
5. To refine yielding skills (moving in direction of opponent's pressure).
6. To practice circular movements, stepping and pivoting to affect objects
7. To refine techniques of marital balancing.
Students are allowed a maximum of three (3) absences. Upon a fourth absence
the student has
three (3) options:
1. receive a grade of F;
2. officially withdraw from the course;
3. follow an appeal procedure through your instructor and/or the Elective
Grades are determined by class performance, papers, mid-term and final exam.