Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Methods of Fitness Exercise Instruction (3 cr)
P217 | 6038 | Kennedy
Non-HPER major: participant in group exercise for two years, need consent
instructor and/or E119. To acquire consent of instructor, e-mail Carol
Kennedy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HPER major: P216.
CLASS MEETS: Tues/Thurs, 11:15-12:30 p.m. at the SRSC in MS III.
To provide content knowledge and practical experience concerned with
teaching and evaluating
group exercise sessions. A variety of group exercise classes will be
introduced such as step, slide,
water, cycling, and use of resistance equipment.
Upon completion of this course, you will have knowledge of and experience
1. Leading exercise in diverse group exercise settings.
2. How basic exercise physiology principles apply to a group exercise
3. An evaluation tool for determining a safe and effective exercise
4. An evaluation process for determining safe and effective individual
5. Applying joint range of motion and muscle biomechanics to an exercise
6. Music awareness and selection in a group exercise session.
7. Safe and effective procedures of various types of group exercise
sessions such as water
exercise, slide, bench exercise, circuit training, use of resistance
Collegiate Copies course packet (P217) - 1434 E. 3rd Street, 339-3769
Aerobics Instructor Manual, American Council on Exercise, San Diego, CA
FINAL EXAM: Thursday, December 17th, 5:00-7:00 p.m. in the Auditorium at the
Participation is one of the major learning objectives of the class,
students are expected to attend all class sessions. Three points will be
deducted per absence if you miss more than two class periods.
Outside Participation 30 points
Stretch/Strengthen practical 10 points
Mid-Written Test 40 points
Outside Critique 10 points
Final Practical 60 points
Final Exam 50 points
A = 186-200 C = 151-146
A- = 185-180 C- = 145-140
B+ = 179-172 D+ = 139-132
B = 171-166 D = 131-126
B- = 165-160 D- = 125-120
C+ = 159-152