Slavic Languages & Literatures | Advanced Russian 2
R402 | ALL | Kolodziej
Meets 4 hours a week. One hour is set aside for
oral practice. Class is conducted in Russian.
The following is covered in R402:
1. Overall review of R301, R302, R401 materials.
2. Word formation: verbal prefixes and adjectival suffixes.
3. Russian syntax.
The following texts and materials are used:
1. AN OVERVIEW OF RUSSIAN CASES (R301).
2. A HANDBOOK OF RUSSIAN VERB MORPHOLOGY (R302).
3. RUSSIAN ROOT LITS.
4. A HANDBOOK OF RUSSIAN VERBAL PREFIXES.
5. A HANDBOOK ON RUSSIAN SUFFIXES.
6. INTEGRATED LEARNING MODULES X, XI, XII, XIII-
The contextual method used in the Modules allows the story and
the exercises to be integrated in several ways. First, by taking
the story apart morphologically, syntactically and lexically and
by mastering individual parts, the student acquires a clearer
understanding of the whole and is prepared to discuss the story
in acceptable Russian. Secondly, while dealing with the living
language, the student integrates the linguistic context with
social content, progressing beyond abstract grammatical categories;
yet, because of the frame of the story, the material to be covered
is confined to a manageable quantity. Thirdly, each Module builds
on and complements the material of the previous ones. The stories
serve to integrate and reinforce points of grammar, reviewing
material already covered while focusing on new problems.
7. Articles from Russian newspapers and poetry.
8. Videos for aural comprehension.
In addition to regular tests, homework, discussions, there will be six
(6) compositions on the stories read in the Modules.
a) vocabulary quizzes
b) an hourly exam after each unit of Grammar and after each Module
c) a cumulative Final exam
Grades are based on:
written quizzes 5%
class participation 25%
final cumulative exam 40%