THTR T230 Sec. 4143 deJong
Stage Costuming I
9:00-10:15a MW 3 cr. hr.
T230, Fundamentals of Stage Costuming, is structured
to introduce the student to the process of stage costuming. Students will
participate in this process through practical assignments in play
analysis, costume research, costume design, construction and crafts, as
well as production crew work.
- To develop an understanding and appreciation of the art, crafts and
discipline of stage costuming
- To gain proficiency in the skills and crafts of stage costuming
- To engage and learn to understand the theatre production process.
- There is no text. Written materials will be provided in handouts.
- ASSIGNMENTS: Seven (7) projects/papers: 1) workshop planning project;
2) character and script analysis; 3) research relating to historic era of
the play and its characters; 4) design costumes for characters in project
2; 5) textiles for costumes in project 4; 6) modify textile to match color
of a costume designed in project 4; and 7) design and make a mask (costume
- EXAMS: (3) Quizzes, each quiz deals only with the material since the
previous quiz (except the first quiz); objective, subjective, problem
- OTHER: Costume Laboratory requirement of 40 (+/-) hours, and Costume