THTR T433 Sec. 4158 deJong
11:00-12:15p MW 3 cr. hr.
Prerequisite: THTR T230 or consent of instructor.
MAY BE TAKEN FOR GRADUATE CREDIT.
This course asks the student to apply the elements of good design to
the process of stage costume design -- to create stylistically effective
and appropriate character costume.
The Course Goals include:
- To understand the elements of good design
- To be able to apply these elements in good stage costume design
- To be able to develop strong characterization through good costume
- To develop a more critical basis for judging stage costume
- To develop better costume rendering skills
- To learn to share criticism.
- There is no text.
- Each student will do a minimum of twenty-seven (27) copy work figure
- Design a costume in the style (color, stylistic qualities) of two
- Design a select number of character costumes (usually 4-6) for seven
plays (plays outlined in syllabus). The plays used for these assignments
are of varied styles and historic periods.
- Final Project: A complete set of costume designs for a play (play
outlined in syllabus).