Spanish and Portuguese | The Hispanic World II
S332 | 4318 | Professor Olga Impey
S332 The Hispanic World II (3 credits)
Prerequisite: S331 or equivalent
This course will focus on the most important figures drawn from
Spanish literature: the hero, the pícaro and Don Juan.
Students are expected to read Poema del mio Cid in a modernized
edition, Lazarillo de Tormes. El burlador de sevilla, and selected
romances. In our close reading of these works we will give special
1. The historical and cultural circumstances in which these works
they were written;
2. The social/cultural milieux and the ethical/esthetic values they
3. The main frames of thought and generic features they contain;
4. Pertinent questions of literary theory and interpretation;
5. A number of questions posed by the text such as honra,
hero/antihero, the relationship between moros and cristianos,
chivalry and kingship, etc.
The specific aim of the course is on the one hand to sharpen the
literary insight and widen the cultural horizons of the students and
on the other to improve their speaking and writing abilities in
Spanish. Students will be evaluated on the basis of their
participation in class, written assignments, one paper, and two
Credit given for only two of the following: S331, S332, S333.
S332 #4318 1:00P-2:15P TR BH142 Prof. Olga Impey