Slavic Languages and Literatures | Advanced Russian 2
R402 | ALL | Kolodziej
Meets 4 hours a week. One hour is set aside for
oral practice. Class is conducted in Russian.
The following is covered in R402:
1. Overall review of R301, R302, R401 materials.
2. Word formation: verbal prefixes and adjectival suffixes.
3. Russian syntax.
The following texts and materials are used:
1. AN OVERVIEW OF RUSSIAN CASES (R301).
2. A HANDBOOK OF RUSSIAN VERB MORPHOLOGY (R302).
3. RUSSIAN ROOT LITS.
4. A HANDBOOK OF RUSSIAN VERBAL PREFIXES.
5. A HANDBOOK ON RUSSIAN SUFFIXES.
6. INTEGRATED LEARNING MODULES X, XI, XII, XIII-
The contextual method used in the Modules allows the story and the
exercises to be
integrated in several ways. First, by taking the story apart
syntactically and lexically and by mastering individual parts, the
student acquires a
clearer understanding of the whole and is prepared to discuss the
story in acceptable
Russian. Secondly, while dealing with the living language, the
student integrates the
linguistic context with social content, progressing beyond abstract
categories; yet, because of the frame of the story, the material to
be covered is confined
to a manageable quantity. Thirdly, each Module builds on and
complements the material of
the previous ones. The stories serve to integrate and reinforce
points of grammar,
reviewing material already covered while focusing on new problems.
7. Articles from Russian newspapers and poetry.
8. Videos for aural comprehension.
In addition to regular tests, homework, discussions, there will be
(6) compositions on the stories read in the Modules.
a) vocabulary quizzes
b) an hourly exam after each unit of Grammar and after each Module
c) a cumulative Final exam
Grades are based on:
written quizzes 5%
class participation 25%
final cumulative exam 40%