| Internship in Counseling
G550 | 5241 | Thompson
Indiana University: Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology
G550 Master's Internship in Counseling
Spring Semester, 1999 (Saturdays, 9am to 1 pm), Rm. 20
Instructor: Chalmer Thompson, Ph.D.
Office: Wright Education Bldg., Rm. 4024
Phone and email: 856-8319, chathomp
Appointments: By arrangement
Text: READER: A compilation of readings will be used for this course. The
reader is available for purchase at the IU Bookstore.
Class sessions will meet on the following dates:
This course is designed to give students more advanced experience and with a
broader range of clients than provided in the counseling practicum. The
internship experience is at/or near the end of the formal training period.
The internship experience requires 600 contact hours and with two options:
(a) 20 hours per week over a period of two consecutive semesters or (b) 20
hours per week for one semester followed or preceded by both the six week
and the eight week summer session. All prerequisite courses will have been
Objectives for this course are as follows:
1. To counsel effectively a wide range of client problems using both
individual and group counseling as the mode of helping.
2. To further develop assessment skills for helping clients to define their
problem and set proper goals.
3. To do outreach and consultation work where appropriate.
4. To develop sophistication in selecting appropriate interventions and to
assess the effects of a given intervention.
5. To become socialized to the culture of the setting so to develop a
clearer understanding of the norms, values, priorities, and processes that
occur in that setting.
1. Be on site 20 hours per week.
2. Attend monthly G550 class meetings throughout the entire internship
experience ready to discuss experiences, problems, professional growth
issues, and reading assignments.
3. Attend a monthly on-campus seminar (G598) for one full semester during
4. Meet individually with your immediate supervisor for a minimum of one
hour per week.
5. Keep a journal of the internship activities which includes (use form):
a. the site where the internship is scheduled and the supervisor's
b. a general statement about the types of clients you are working
with and/or the context in which you are working. Include comments
about client problems, treatment plans, results, number and type of client
problems dealt with, working conditions, attitude toward interns,
c. statement on supervision experiences, including any difficulties
where greater attention is needed, as well as patterns of growth and
d. goals for next month/semester.
e. an integrative summary of each month and semester experience
with each forwarded to the instructor one week before each monthly
6. Review and sign the university evaluation form prepared by the
supervisor each semester.