Health, Physical Education And Recreation
| Intermediate Basketball
E211 | 6126-6127 | Staff
Review of fundamental basketball skills including passing, dribbling,
shooting, rebounding, and
defense. Instruction in principles of motion offense, including spacing,
screening, rebounding, and
passing. Instruction in man-to-man and zone defenses.
This course should enable you to:
1. Identify the fundamentals of the motion offense and perform them in a
2. Identify the fundamentals of man-to-man and zone defenses and perform
them in a game
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the game of basketball, and the rules,
terminology that apply.
The following topics will be covered:
1. Review of basic basketball skills - passing, catching, dribbling,
defensive positioning and footwork.
2. Motion offense - spacing, screening, rebounding, passing, shooting.
3. Man-to-man defense - positioning, fighting screens, taking charges,
4. Zone defenses - 1-2-2, 2-1-2, 2-3, Box and 1, Diamond and 1.
Students must be dressed in proper attire and ready to play every day.
Street clothes - trousers,
sweaters, etc. are not proper attire. Court shoes must be worn.
Black-soled running shoes are
NOT permitted. Basketballs will be supplied for the class.
Students are allowed a maximum of three (3) absences. Upon a fourth absence
the student has
1) receive a grade of F;
2) officially withdraw from the course;
3) follow an appeal procedure with your instructor and/or the Elective