THTR T100 Sec. 4021 C. Railsback
Introduction to the Theatre
9:05a-11:00a TR 4 cr. hrs.
Fulfills AHLA Requirements
If a class is closed, interested students should add
themselves to the electronic waitlist, attend the class, and emphasize to
the instructor their interest in the class. Electronically
waitlisted students who make the effort to attend and contact the
instructor will be given priority for admittance into the
This course is concerned with the art of entertainment called theatre.
This includes drama, dance, musical theatre, and the technical skills used
in film, television, and the living stage. The basic objectives of the
course are to examine foundations of contemporary theatre, and the
elements of theatrical production and the contributions of the western
theatre heritage. As the foundation course in the Theatre and Drama
curriculum, Introduction to the Theatre aims to equip the student with a
common vocabulary and concepts utilized in the study and collaborative
work of the theatre.
- Wilson and Goldfarb. Theatre: The Lively Art.
- Guare. Six Degrees of Separation.
- Moliere. The Miser. Adapt: Miles Malleson.
- Sophocles. Oedipus Rex. Trans. H.D.F. Kitto
- Williams. A Streetcar Named Desire.
- ASSIGNMENTS: The student will read in the above texts and will view
live and film theatre available during the semester. Some additional
readings may be distributed and some may be put on Library Reserve. A
large share of the content of the course will be found in the course
lectures, video, and other visual presentations.
- PAPERS: The student will write three (3) papers of at least 600 to 800
words (3-5 pages) each. The papers will be to evaluate a theatre
performance witnessed during the term.
- EXAMS: At least three (3) tests over assigned reading, lectures,
films, and other viewings. All tests prepared with class content in mind.
Also, there will be occasional quizzes. The tests will be both objective
and essay. The final exam will be comprehensive.
- Attendance and class participation are essential to success in