Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Teaching Practicum in Physical Education (1 cr)
P203 | 1063 | Cothran
Meeting time arranged.
P203 provides the prospective teacher educator with an opportunity to
field-based observations of teaching behaviors exhibited in the elective
Seminar discussions will attempt to synthesize the data from the
formulate inferences about teaching effectiveness.
At the conclusion of the P203 experience, the student will be able to:
1. Express an understanding and appreciation of effective teaching from
interactions with teachers in the elective program.
2. Identify actions that must be taken by teachers to minimize safety
3. Recognize patterns of instructor feedback and their appropriateness for
enhancement of motor skills by ALL students.
4. Describe class management practices of role model teachers.
5. Discuss key elements of the teaching-learning process that contribute to
effective teaching (e.g.,lesson planning, set-up of equipment, and the use
demonstrations as an instructional tool).
1. P203 students must keep a logbook which chronicles their experience in
elective class. All entries should be in typewritten form (or recopied from
notes in a very legible handwritten manner) and kept in a three-ring binder.
a. Entries should include a chronological recounting of the events of the
fairly specific detail.
b. Significant aspects of the day which may be either positive or negative
should be identified and discussed.
c. The entry should also contain an analysis/summation of teaching behavior
on the assigned topic for the week.
d. Logbooks will be submitted to the P203 course instructor for a mid-term
and for a final review.
2. All P203 students are expected to attend ALL elective class meetings and
seminar sessions. Attendance problems must be discussed with the P203
instructor prior to the anticipated absence(s).
3. Because the majority of students in this class are involved in
professional programs, an attitude of professionalsim is to be demonstrated
student at all times. Therefore, please do not bring food or drink into the
classroom/gymnasium. Further the student's attire should reflect the
qualities of a professional attitude. T-shirts should exhibit positive
which reflect the mission of the profession. Finally, students should
caps before entering the classroom/gymnasium.
4. P203 students may assist the instructor of the elective course in the
the elective class. This could include but should not be limited to the
take-down of equipment, taking of daily attendance, assisting in the
of a skill or strategy, and/or working with a small group of students. NOTE:
time should the P203 student accept sole responsibility for the conduct or
supervision of the elective class.
GRADING: Only S/F grades may be assigned for P203.