shadow
Our House

After renting social quarters and rooms in private homes for several years, Theta Chapter of Delta Gamma in 1916 obtained ownership of its first house at 814 East Third Street, the present location of the IU Military Sciences (Army ROTC) Department. Ten years later, the University decided to develop a Fraternity Quadrangle in a cornfield on the far east side of campus.

Delta Gamma was one of the nine chapters that contracted to move to the new Quad. (Others were Zeta Tau Alpha, Theta Chi, Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Chi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Kappa, Phi Mu, and Chi Omega.) The Delta Gamma house was not finished when classes began in the fall of 1926, so the 30 members lived temporarily in the Blue Goose Bus Station at 8th and Walnut.

The original house still exists today at 105 North Jordan Avenue. However in 1949, 1959, and 1992, additions were made to the original house making it what it is today. In the early 1960s, the Old Fashioned Stock Anchor, #60-352-AU, on indefinite loan from the U.S. Navy, was delivered to the chapter thanks to the arrangements of a DG dad who was a naval officer.

The final addition to the house was the Delta Gamma Centennial walkway and bridge over the Jordan River, added in 1998, as the chapter's gift to the University on its 100th year anniversary of being on campus.

The Centennial Fund also provides scholarships for members of the Theta chapter and supports house's computer network and its link to the University's data network, including the IU Libraries and the Internet. The fund exceeds $200,000 and is still growing.

House 1930
Original Jordan Quad house, pictured in late 1930s



Our House 1959
House after the 1959 additions on east and west ends of original property.



Our Present House Present-day chapter house after 1992 addition.

Our House image gallery. Click on picture to enlarge.


Sign outside DG

Main Entance

Foyer
 

Informal

Formal

Library
 

Dining Room

Anchor on permanent loan from the US Navy

Entry

Living in Our House
Delta Gamma offers the chance to live in a single, double, triple or quad. Members may sleep in the cold dorm (windows open year round whether hot or cold), the warm dorm (air conditioned and heated), or to sleep in your own room -- wherever you feel the most comfortable. The house also includes a full basement with TV room, washers and dryers, along with a study room and adjoining computer room. The second and third floors of the main house have two wings with fully-furnished study/sleeping rooms and bathrooms in each area. The Delta Gamma house is very comfortable and will definitely make you feel at home.

The Anchor in the Yard
After Theta Chapter's house was expanded in 1959, a member of the chapter was Rosemond Toner, '61, whose father, USN Capt. Raymond J. Toner, was the commanding officer of the U.S. Naval Station in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He arranged for the chapter to acquire - on permanent loan from the U.S. Navy - a "decommissioned" anchor. Each year the chapter has to report to the U.S. Navy on the condition and whereabouts of the anchor. The name of the ship that it served is not known -- even by the Navy.

After it was delivered and installed, it became a "traveling trophy" on campus. Despite its weight of over 600 pounds, groups of sturdy college men regularly relocated it to their own chapter houses -- the SAE house across the street being the most frequent destination. Soon the anchor was embedded in concrete so it would remain in place.

The anchor became a part of Theta Chapter's musical tradition when it became a part of the lyrics for a pledge class song, adapted from the Crosby, Stills, and Nash recording, "Our House." "Our house is a very, very fine house...with an anchor in the yard...and Hannah standing guard."

Once the anchor was immovable it took on a new life. It became a post to which men could be tied in celebration of their commitment to DG women - through a lavalier, pin, or engagement. It also became a favorite site for posing for photos.

When the chapter house was enlarged in 1992, the anchor was relocated to its present position.




Disclaimer: The information provided on this Web site is intended for use by Delta Gamma members only. Delta Gamma Fraternity does not accept responsibility for misuse of this information by non-members and states that use of this information other than its intended purpose is strictly prohibited.



Page last updated: March 15, 2013