Applicants must meet both University and Program requirements.
University Admission Requirements can be found in the Indiana University Graduate School Academic Bulletin.
Program Admission Requirements include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Graduate Record Examination, or GRE (General Test) scores are required for all students who wish to be considered for admission. A score of 150 or better on at least one section of the test is required by the University. GRE scores are valid for 5 years after the date of the exam. The Institution Code for the GRE is 1324.
- International students must demonstrate a high degree of proficiency in English before being admitted to the Department by taking the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and receiving a score of 600 or higher on the paper-based test, 250 on the computer-based test, and 100 on the IBT. TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years after the date of the test. The Institution Code for the TOEFL is 1324. The Department Code for the TOEFL is 99.
- Applicants must provide three letters of recommendation.
- Applicants must provide two official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. These transcripts should bear the official seal of the institution registrar, and show grades for all courses in which the student was enrolled.
- All applicants should include a statement of purpose of at least 300-500 words and a Curriculum Vitae. Ph.D. students must also include a 5 page statement of research interests.
- The Program does not offer conditional admissions. Applications are only accepted for fall admissions. The deadline for application by international students is December 1st. The deadline for domestic students is January 15th.
To apply, please complete the online application for the University Graduate School by accessing the University Graduate School website or the Office of Admissions website. Domestic students should send official transcripts to:
Department of Second Language Studies
1021 East Third Street
Memorial Hall 315
Bloomington, IN 47405
or electronic official versions from the univeristy to:email@example.com
International students should submit their official transcripts through Office of International Services. Visit their web page at Office of International Services to apply online. Additional fees for international students may apply.
For admissions questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org