1724 Guadalupe Underwater Archaeological Preserve

Background
The 1724 Guadalupe Underwater Archaeological Preserve is the the world's first underwater shipwreck museum. Created during the summer of 2002 by IU students and faculty, the preserve is adjacent to Viva Dominicus Beach and Viva Dominicus Palace in Bayahibe. It was dedicated in a ceremony involving representatives of Indiana University and Domincan Republic including Charles Beeker, Director of the Office of Underwater Science and Tony Raful, the Secretary of Culture for the Dominican Republic.
 
History of the Guadalupe artifacts.
The Spanish galleons Guadalupe and Tolosa sank in Samana Bay during a hurricane in 1724. Undiscovered until the 1970s the wrecks lay undisturbed. In the 1970, the ONPCS recovered artifacts and cannons from these shipwreck sites. Until last year, the ships artifacts were stored away from the public view in the ONPCS conservatory.
The making of the preserve.
The underwater museum consists of 18th century ballast stones, cannons, cannonballs, ceramic pieces and an anchor. All were transported and placed safely underwater by IU students and faculty.
 
Visitor Information
The site is in 12 to 15 feet of water, so it is readily accessible to snorkelers and divers, giving visitors the opportunity to see an actual 18th century shipwreck artifacts in an underwater museum setting.

Indiana
University
Back to Underwater Science Program
Last updated July 16, 2003
Questions or Comments: Underwater Science Program
Copyright 1996-2003, The Trustees of Indiana University