Roger L. Janelli « Emeriti Faculty « People
Professor Emeritus, Folklore and Ethnomusicology and EALC
- PhD, University of Pennsylvania, 1975
- Korean culture and social organization
- East Asian ethnography
- Political economy
- Responses to globalization in East Asia
Awards and Distinctions
- Research Fellow, University of Tokyo, 2000
- Joint Committee on Korean Studies of the American Council of Learned Societies and the Social Science Research Council, for research on culture and political economy of South Korean business firms, 1987-88
- Visiting Research Professor, Yonsei University, 1986-87
- 2003, "Transforming Filial Piety in South Korea," in Filial Piety in Contemporary East Asia. Charlotte Ikels, ed. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2003. With Dawnhee Yim.
- 2001, "Gender Construction in the Offices of a South Korean Conglomerate," in Under Construction: The Gendering of Modernity, Class, and Consumption in the Republic of Korea. Laurel Kendall, ed. Pp. 115-139. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press. With Dawnhee Yim.
- 1998, The Anthropology of Korea: East Asian Perspectives. Senri Ethnological Series, No. 49. Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology. Coedited with Shima Mutshuhiko.
- 1993, "Toward a Political Economy of Korean Shamanism," in Shamans and Cultures. Mihaly Hoppal and Keith Howard, eds. Budapest: Akadamiai Kiado, and Los Angeles: International Society for Transoceanic Research. Pp. 52-60. With Yim Suk-jay and Dawnhee Yim.
- 1993, Making Capitalism: The Social and Cultural Construction of a South Korean Conglomerate. Stanford: Stanford University Press. With Dawnhee Yim.