Video Lending Library
- Program Title: Funky Forest: The First Contact (Naisu no mori: The First Contact)
- EASC Code: JF-17
- Series Title:
- Region/Country: Japan
- Language: Japanese
- Subject: Movie & TV Drama
- Program Type: Feature
- Media Type:
- Director: Katsuhito Ishii, Hajime Ishimine, Shunichiro Miki
- Release Date: 2005
- Running Time: 150 min.
- Color or BW: Color
- Program Abstract: Movie Review : This is one of those movies where words really can’t do the movie justice. Katsuhito Ishii, along with two of his pals, takes elements from his previous films (Sharkskin Man and Peach Hip Girl, Party 7, A Taste of Tea) to create an utterly surreal omnibus that ranges from the utterly bizarre to the unbelievably funny. Some of the more bizarre characters you will encounter in Funky Forest are Alien Piko-Riko, Bloodsuckers, and Pero the dog director. The movie’s narration is as unorthodox as these characters. The film is split into an A-Side and B-Side and includes a 3 minute intermission during the half way point in the film. Also, the film is told through non-linear sketches that contains recurring characters and themes. The main recurring characters would be :
The Mole Brothers : Futuristic / Alien comedy brothers.
The Unpopular With Women Brothers : The Guitar Brother tries to learn to play the guitar to pick up chicks, while his older brother, Tanaka, tries to learn a Kabuki dance to pick up chicks. They also have a younger brother, who is Caucasian and loves Snicker candy bars.
Notti & Takefumi : Takefumi is a bookish high school teacher, that loves to DJ and has a crush on his student Notti. Notti is a dreamy high school student, that enjoys the company of Takefumi, but hasn’t physiologically encountered love.
- Data Entry Date: 8/16/2007