Video Lending Library
- Program Title: Medieval Japan and Buddhism in literature (1185-1600)
- EASC Code: JJ-17
- Series Title: Japanese History and Literature
- Region/Country: Japan
- Language: English
- Subject: History, Literature, Religion & Philosophy
- Program Type: Documentary
- Media Type: VHS
- Producer: Columbia University's Project on Asia in the Core Curriculum of Schools and Colleges
- Release Date: 1996
- Running Time: 45 min.
- Color or BW: Color
- Program Abstract: "The warfare and disruption that characterized the feudal era in Japanese history set the political and social context for this program. Similarities and differences between medieval Japan and medieval Europe - in political structure, bonds between warriors, and the importance of religion - are discussed. Selections from Essays in Idleness, Account of My Hut, and Noh drama demonstrate the resonance of Buddhism in this period's literature."
- Data Entry Date: 5/11/1999