Video Lending Library
- Program Title: Tokugawa Japan and Puppet Theater, Novels, and the Haiku of Basho (1600-1868)
- EASC Code: JJ-18
- Series Title: Japanese History and Literature
- Region/Country: Japan
- Language: English
- Subject: History, Literature, Theatrical Performance
- Program Type: Documentary
- Media Type: VHS
- Producer: Columbia University's Project on Asia in the Core Curriculum of Schools and Colleges
- Release Date: 1996
- Running Time: 70 min.
- Color or BW: Color
- Program Abstract: "After centuries of warfare, the Tokugawa rulers brought 250 years of peace to Japan. Dramatic changes took place within this ordered society, including economic development and the growth of cities. The literature of this period gave voice to the new urban population as seen in the dramas of Chikamatsu, the novels of Saikaku, and the haiku of Basho. The developments in the Tokugawa era laid the basis for the remarkable modernization of the Meiji period that followed."
- Data Entry Date: 5/11/1999