2013-14 NCTA Teaching about Asia Seminars
The East Asian Studies Center, in collaboration with the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA), is engaged in a national, multi-year program to improve the teaching of East Asia in America’s schools. Hundreds of teachers have taken this seminar and remain committed to incorporating East Asia into their curricula.
The program is composed of three primary elements:
- an 11-week, 33-hour spring seminar, or a weeklong summer seminar;
- classroom implementation; and
- a follow-up component.
Those who complete the program will receive:
- a solid foundation for teaching about East Asia;
- texts and resources on East Asia ($200 value);
- the option to purchase three graduate credits from IU;
- a certificate of participation;
- a $300 grant to your school for the purchase of East Asian resources; and
- a $400 personal stipend.
- Attend all sessions of the seminar and prepare required assignments
- Complete three lesson plans, one each on China, Korea, and Japan
- Implement these lesson plans in the year following the seminar
- Participate in a follow-up event and submit a report on how the lessons were implemented
- Continue integrating East Asia into the curriculum wherever possible
First priority is given to middle- and high-school teachers who are in the strongest positions to teach East Asia in their classes, but elementary educators may also apply. Highest priority is given to teachers of world geography, world history, world cultures, religion, economics, and language arts/literature. Media specialists, art teachers, world language teachers, guidance counselors, and Gifted and Talented teachers who are in a position to promote the sustained presence of Asia are also eligible to participate. In-service educators must be employed half-time or more in a K-12 public or private school to be eligible.
Please note: Teachers are only eligible to participate in the program once.
East Asian Studies Center
Memorial Hall West 211
1021 East Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47405-7005
(812) 855-3765 or (800) 441-3272
Fax: (812) 855-7762
leigao [at] indiana [dot] edu