Grad Student Recommendations
Anyetsang's Little Tibet: 415 East Fourth. Excellent Tibetan cuisine.
Bloomington Sandwich Company: Kirkwood and Washington. They make their own corned beef! Great selection of sandwiches.
Darn Good Soup: On the west side of the Square. Darn good soup. Well worth the walk.
Falafels: Kirkwood and Dunn. Also has carryout.
Finch's: Kirkwood between Indiana and Dunn. Fantastic beer selection, and great pizzettas (try the Dordogne!!).
IU Cinema: Inexpensive tickets that you should purchase in advance to a diverse range of excellent films.
Noodles and Co. Kirkwood and Indiana.
Taste of India: 316 E. 4th Street. Has a great all-you-can-eat lunch buffet for a pretty reasonable price.
- Anatolia's: 405 East 4th St. Mediterranean and Turkish cuisine. No alcohol license, but highly recommended.
- Anyetsang's Little Tibet: 415 East Fourth. Tibetan cuisine.
- Café Django: 116 N. Grant. Eclectic Tibetan/Indian/Italian menu.
- Dat's: 211 S. Grant St. Cajun. Carry out or dine-in. Cheap, fast, and good.
- Esan Thai: Behind Shanti, at Kirkwood and Lincoln. Nice and spicy Thai food.
- Falafels: Kirkwood and Dunn. Also has carryout.
- The Irish Lion: (212 West Kirkwood Avenue) Authentic Irish specialties and a wide selection of Irish and British beers on tap. One of the few places in Bloomington you may purchase beer by the yard. It's a bit more of a walk from campus than some of the other restaurants, but well worth it for the atmosphere.
- Samira: 100 W 6th St. Downtown, on the north side of the square. Afghani. Upscale and expensive (aprox. $20 per person, including beverage), but definitely worth the money!
- Siam House: Fourth and Dunn. Good Thai food in a cozy atmosphere. Can be expensive, but well worth the cost. They also have an excellent all-you-can eat lunch buffet.
- Taste of India: 316 E. 4th Street. Has a great all-you-can-eat lunch buffet for a pretty reasonable price.
- Aver’s: Carryout and Delivery only. Fabulous, award-winning pizza.
- Café Pizzeria: On Kirkwood, near campus.
- Max's Place: On the square. Excellent pizza.
- Mother Bear’s Pizza: Near Third and Jordan. It has the fourth best pizza in the nation. Beer is served here.
- Nick’s English Hut: Kirkwood main strip, not far from the Sample Gates. Good pizza, as well as standard pub fare.
Casual Dining & Sandwiches
- Bear’s Place: Near Third and Jordan. Bear’s serves Mother Bear’s pizza and various tasty sandwiches. It also serves alcohol, and you can catch live music and Ryder films here.
- Bloomington Bagel Company: Near Dunn and Kirkwood, across from the People’s Park, and a new smaller location at Seventh and Morton. Close to campus, nice atmosphere, great bagels, sandwiches, soups, and pastries. Reasonable prices.
- Butch’s Grillacatessen and Eatzeria: 120 E. 7th St. A HUGE menu of deli food, pizza, pasta, calzones, bakery items, and more. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Chipotle: Kirkwood between Dunn and Grant.
- Dagwood’s: Indiana, across from the Law School. Dagwood’s has huge sandwiches and subs at a pretty reasonable price. Dagwood’s also delivers.
- Darn Good Soup: On the west side of the Square. Darn good soup.
- Laughing Planet: Kirkwood and Grant. Good, healthy burritos, chips, and soups for cheap. Upstairs from (and run by the same folks as) Soma Coffeehouse.
- Noodles and Co. Kirkwood and Indiana.
- Panda Express. Next to Noodles and Co.
- Roots on the Square: 124 N Walnut on the northeast corner of the square. Bloomington’s only all-vegetarian restaurant.
- The Village Deli: Kirkwood, 2 blocks from campus. This is a popular deli with decent prices (although it’s famously slow). They have a super vegetarian chili, good sandwiches, and a wonderful breakfast menu.
- Yogi’s: 519 E. 10th Street, near campus. Great beer selection, tons of TV tuned to sports, and traditional pub fare. Good fun if you’re a sports fan.
- The Bakehouse: Courthouse Square (and a new location on E. Third, by the mall). Great bread, sandwiches, salads, and coffee.
- City Bakery: 1316 E. Third. Great little carryout bakery.
Coffeehouses & Breakfast Joints