Skip to main content
Indiana University Bloomington

Other Programs and Certificates

Student reading Charles Dickens in class and asking question

English majors often seek minors, certificates, or a second major to broaden their knowledge and expand their educational and career opportunities. There are many programs and certificates within and beyond the College of Arts and Sciences from which to choose, and we highlight of few of them below. There is no right or wrong combination. In considering your curricular and co-curricular options, allow your interests and intellectual curiosity be your guides to building a degree.


Students may declare an interdepartmental major in English and African American and African Diaspora Studies. The Department of African American and African Diaspora Studies (AAAD) examines the experiences of people of African descent in the United States and throughout the world. The interdepartmental major is 40 credit hours with a minimum of 6 courses in each discipline. Consult with an English advisor to declare the interdepartmental advisor. To declare a 15 credit hour AAAD minor, schedule a meeting with the AAAD advisor, Memorial 25, (812) 855-6270.


Students earning a bachelor's degree in the College of Arts and Sciences may earn a minor in Business, Marketing, or Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management from the Kelley School of Business. Requirements for each of the 21 credit hour minors are posted in the College Bulletin.

NOTE: The College of Arts and Sciences limits the number of credit hours taken outside the College that will count toward the degree to 22 credit hours.

Students can add a Business minor by logging into the College Recorder's website at

The Minor in Business, of course, does not preclude students from studying as electives any business courses open to non-business majors for which they have completed the necessary prerequisites. Students who wish to supplement their major in the College with a small number of business courses in a single business area such as accounting, finance, marketing, or other specialized study should select business courses in consultation with a School of Business advisor in Business 454, (812) 855-2614.


English majors who want to teach at the secondary level can receive certification through the School of Education. While the English department can provide some basic information on this option, to get the whole picture of what Education courses and licensing tests are required for certification, students should call (812) 856-8510 and make an appointment with an Education advisor. Once you have all the necessary information on certification, your undergraduate advisor in English will help you choose courses that work for both your degree and your certification.


Film Studies uses the traditional methods of the humanities and social sciences to examine film, television, video, and new media as cultural products. This area of study aims to produce a sophisticated and critical audience for film and other media, and, in the case of some students, to provide background for professional study at film courses in the history, theory, criticism, and aesthetics of the visual arts, encouraging students to become active, articulate viewers of visual culture.

English majors interested in Film Studies can pursue a minor with an emphasis in film in the Department of Communication and Culture. The requirements include a total of 15 credit hours, including either CMCL-C190 or CMCL-C205 and 9 credit hours of upper-division (300- and 400-level) courses. For more information, contact the academic advisor, Department of Communication and Culture, 800 East Third Street, (812) 855-7217.


Gender Studies encompasses the study of the roles and achievements of women within traditional academic disciplines. The Gender Studies Program within the College of Arts and Sciences is designed to offer undergraduate students the opportunity to pursue an integrated sequence of courses in this new and expanding academic discipline. Courses on women, many of which satisfy distributional requirements, are offered in most departments and schools within the University.

The Gender Studies Program offers an interdisciplinary major and an optional minor. For further information contact the Gender Studies Program, Memorial Hall East 129, (812) 855-0101.


Jewish Studies at Indiana University provides the opportunity for students to take courses in the various aspects of Jewish culture from antiquity to the present. The core of the program consists of offerings in history, language and literature, and religion in the Biblical, post-Biblical, medieval, and modern periods. Within these areas, as well as within such related areas as Jewish Folklore and Modern Jewish Thought, students will find a rich selection of courses that provide a broad acquaintance with the major currents of Jewish civilization.

By nature an interdisciplinary program, Jewish Studies will interest students of diverse academic disciplines and personal backgrounds. An undergraduate Certificate in Jewish Studies is awarded to students completing 24 credit hours of study in the major areas of Jewish Studies. The requirements vary depending on the student's entry date to the certificate program. Students may also pursue a B.A. degree in Jewish Studies as part of a double major within the College of Arts and Sciences. For further information, contact the Jewish Studies Program, Goodbody Hall 308, (812) 855-0453.


Students in good standing at Indiana University who are not majoring in Telecommunications are eligible to apply to the certificate program in journalism. For further information, visit the School of Journalism web site and consult Journalism's academic advisor, Ernie Pyle 200C, (812) 855-9248.


The Liberal Arts and Management Program (LAMP) is a selective program that combines a liberal arts or science major with specialized training in business and management. To earn a certificate in LAMP, students must plan ahead to complete several application prerequisite courses and apply to the program in the freshman or sophomore year. To learn more visit the LAMP website and schedule a meeting with a LAMP advisor by calling (812) 856-4966.