VERY IMPORTANT: Please indicate whether each following statement
is true or false, in terms of how you think biologists
use and understand the term "evolution" today.
YOU do NOT have to AGREE with the statement for it to be "true".
Your answers will be confidential, and will not affect your grade.
In every case below, "evolution" means "biological
1. Evolution is as much a fact as the fact that planets go around the Sun.
2. Evolution is something a person should either believe in, or not believe in.
3. Evolution is a process that includes the origin of life.
4. Evolution is primarily concerned with the origin of humans.
5. According to evolution, people came from monkeys a long time ago.
6. Evolution was first proposed and explained by Charles Darwin.
7. Evolution is also known as "Natural Selection".
8. Evolution is something that happened only in the past; it is not happening now.
9. Evolution is something that happens to individual organisms.
10. Evolution is a totally random process, a series of accidents.
11. Evolution was developed as an idea to destroy or undermine religion.
12. In order to accept evolution as a real process, you cannot believe in God.
13. Most major religions in America have officially declared that they have NO conflict with evolution.
14. Evolution simply means "change."
15. Evolution is only a theory.
16. Evolution is like a chain, with each group of organisms evolving into the next "link" in the chain.
17. There are many transitional fossils, with traits intermediate between different groups, as expected if evolution happened.
18. Fossils reveal many problems that evolution cannot explain.
19. Biological, medical and agricultural research increasingly assumes that evolution occurs.
20. Evolution has been tested and challenged many times, but has always been supported by the results.
21. Big dinosaurs were common during the time of early humans.
22. Evolution involves individuals changing in order to adapt to their environment.
23. According to evolution, new species usually result from major mutations in a single generation.
24. Most of the major groups of animals suddenly appeared in the "Cambrian Explosion."
25. The formation of complex structures, like the eye, can now be easily explained by evolution.
or the test in Word format,
request from Webmaster using your school email address