PCB Oral History Project
2011 Lectures &
Nov. 17-20, National Communication Association Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana.
Nov. 4, 2011, Speaker for Environmental Studies Program at Butler University.
Oct. 24-25, Speaker for Rhetoric in Crisis Series, University of Texas, Austin.
Oct. 7, 2011, CMCL Colloquium, IU.
May 13, 2011, Speaker for the Environmental Media Initiative at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
April 29, 2011, Communication Studies Spotlight Scholar Talk, University of Georgia.
March 3. 2011, Women’s History and Awareness Month Keynote Speaker, Eastern Illinois University
NEWS: Toxic Tourism won the Jane Jacobs Urban Communication Awardin 2010
Prof. Pezzullo has published the following in 2010...
* Cultural Studies and the Environment, Revisited. London: Routledge.
* "What's so 'dark' about 'dark tourism'?: Death, tours, and performance"
(with Michael Bowman), Tourist Studies, 9.3: 187-202.
* "Tourists and/as disasters: Rebuilding, Remembering, and Responsibility
in New Orleans," Tourist Studies, 9.1: 23-41.
* "Tripping Over Boundary Stones: Reflections on Engaged Scholarship,"
Quarterly Journal of Speech, 96.4: 450-454.
* "Everyday Life and Death in a Nuclear World: Stories from Fernald,"
(with Stephen P. Depoe) for Public Modalities,
Robert Asen and Daniel Brouwer, Eds. University of Alabama Press
* "Teaching Environmental Communication Through Rhetorical Controversy,"
in Environmental Literacy: Across Campus and Across the Curriculum,
Heather L. Reynolds, Eduardo Brondizio, and Jennifer Meta Robinson, Eds. IU Press
* Readings on Rhetoric and Performance,
(co-edited with Stephen Olbrys Gencarella) Strata Publishing, Inc.
BOOKS PUBLISHED IN 2007...
Rhetorics of Travel, Pollution,and
(University of Alabama Press, 2007)
The Winans/Wichelns Memorial
Award Winner for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric/Public
Address * the Critical
& Cultural Studies
Book of the Year
* the Christine L. Oravec Research Award in Environmental
went into second printing in summer 2009 in paperback
Environmental Justice and Environmentalism:
The Social Justice Challenge to
co-edited with Ronald Sandler
(MIT Press, 2007)
went into its second printing in April 2009
(click on image for a
preview of the Table of Contents,
back cover endorsements, and purchasing information)
Pezzullo publishes and teaches in several areas, including:
• Environmental Communication • Environmental Justice
• Tourist Studies • Social
Movements • Feminism/Gender Studies •
• Rhetoric & Public Culture • Performance/Ethnography
Website last updated: December 2010.
Web site and
all contents © Copyright Phaedra C. Pezzullo 2005, All rights
website was created, in part, by using a free website template,