"Advancing firefighter health and safety through applied research and
Download the Indy Physiology Study - Final Report
Welcome to the Firefighter Health & Safety Research Web site. This program studies the health of some of America's greatest unsung heroes, firefighters. It is hoped that through research, we can improve the health and lives of America's firefighters. Our slogan is: "Advancing firefighter health and safety through applied research and technological development." We hope you enjoy visiting our site.
The mission of the Indiana University Firefighter Health and Safety Research Program is to design and conduct research that leads to a better understanding of the physiological and psychological demands of firefighting and the development of evidenced based guidelines to improve firefighter health and safety.
- Reduce line of duty deaths in the US Fire Service
- Help develop a healthier firefighting force
- Increase longevity of retired firefighters
Actions we are taking to accomplish our goals
- Studying physiological and psychological demands of firefighting
- Developing evidence based fitness guidelines for firefighters
Below is our one hour video, Fit to Fight. Click the video to play it.