Eligibility and Requirements
There are two stages of participation in the program, both of which require formal applications.
Minimum program requirements (both stages):
- Ability to thrive in an intensive learning environment requiring significant extracurricular engagement
- Commitment to the long-term challenges of attaining Superior-level Chinese language proficiency
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 (or top 10% of high school class for incoming freshman)
Minimum language requirements:
- Stage 1: Beginning Mandarin language proficiency as demonstrated in EALC-C 101 performance or equivalent assessment administered by IU
- Stage 2: Intermediate Mandarin language proficiency as demonstrated in EALC-C 301 performance or equivalent assessment administered by IU
Students may progress from Stage 1 to Stage 2 in the program or, if they meet minimum eligibility requirements, apply directly to Stage 2.
Students at both stages work with the Flagship advisor to help them take advantage of the program's flexible design and thereby accommodate their entry-level proficiency, individual learning styles, and the various requirements of different majors.