College of Arts and Sciences

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to major in a particular discipline to be admitted to the program?
No. By completing the required courses for the IU Chinese Language Flagship, you will most likely complete course work for a major/minor in East Asian Languages. However, you do not have to claim this as a major, and students with any academic major may apply.

May I double major?
Yes. An EALC major will certify your accomplishments in the study of Chinese language and culture, and the second major will develop the knowledge and particular interests related to your long-term professional future.

Is there a minimum GPA to be accepted to the program?
Yes. The minimum GPA standard (3.25 overall for current students, or top 10% of the graduating class for incoming freshman) while demonstrating that you are a talented and committed learner of Mandarin.

How much does the IU Chinese Language Flagship Program cost? What funding opportunities are available?
Much of the Flagship training takes place on the IU Bloomington campus during the regular academic year and includes both credit-bearing classes and free extracurricular activities. No funding is provided from the Flagship program for academic years on campus, and students are encouraged to apply for the wide variety of scholarships and financial aid available through IU and other sources to help fund both their academic years and summer study.

A limited number of Flagship scholarships are available for especially committed and talented Chinese language learners to facilitate one or (in some cases) two summers of language learning (either at the IU Flagship Chinese institute or abroad at selected programs) and the capstone year abroad. Note that The Language Flagship, which funds these scholarships, reviews scholarship funding guidelines annually and can make changes at any time. Two other important IU sources of scholarships are the Hutton Honors College and IU Office of Scholarships.

Will my financial aid apply to study abroad?
Ordinarily, financial aid awarded to students for study at IU may be applied to overseas study for a program that contributes to the student's undergraduate degree. However, this is not automatic. To request that financial aid be applied to an overseas study program, you need to follow the procedure outlined by the Office of Overseas Studies and IU Financial Aid. One area where financial aid usually does not apply is the final semester of internship, which is a professional rather than academic experience.

Please see the Bloomington Office of Student Financial Assistance for detailed information about applying for (or renewing) financial aid.

Will I get academic credit for the work I do studying Mandarin over the summer in China?
In most cases, you do receive academic credit for summer study abroad. However, this is not always the circumstance. Students should work with their academic advisor and overseas studies in advance to ensure credit will transfer.

I am a graduate student. Can I participate in the IU Chinese Language Flagship?
Graduate students are not eligible for admission to the Chinese Flagship Program, and our department will no longer be offering the Graduate Flagship Program as of Fall 2014.

Should my letter of recommendation be in Chinese or English?
Both English and Chinese letters of support are accepted.


Specific to incoming freshmen:

I’m a high school senior. Can I apply to the Flagship program as an incoming freshman?
Yes! The acceptance of high school students is conditional upon their matriculation to Indiana University and a language placement exam taken when they arrive on campus for their freshman fall semester.

Do you need copies of my high school transcript?
Yes. Though you will send Indiana University a copy of your high school transcript as part of your IU application, you will also need to have a copy of your transcript sent to our offices, either via mail or fax:

Indiana University Chinese Flagship Center
814 E. Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Fax: (812) 855-3222

For which level should I apply?
Most incoming freshmen apply for and are admitted to Stage 1 of the program, which includes beginning to intermediate language courses. More advanced language students begin their freshman fall semester in Stage 1 and then apply for admission to Stage 2 at the end of that semester.

Do I need a letter of recommendation?
If you are applying to Stage 1 of the program, a recommendation letter is not required, but will be accepted if submitted. For Stage 2 of the program, a letter of recommendation from a faculty member from your academic domain is required as part of the application.

If I’ve applied to the Chinese Flagship Program, do I need to apply to Indiana University as well?
Yes, all students must apply and be accepted to Indiana University in order to participate in the Chinese Flagship Program. Our office is a separate entity from IU's Office of Admissions and there is limited communication between the two. Information on how to apply to IU can be found at the Office of Admissions.

The application requires an interview with Flagship staff, but I don't live near Bloomington.
We are happy to interview prospective students over the phone, and will work with you on every step of the process.

I'm coming to campus for New Student Orientation, can I meet with someone to talk about the program?