- meet with their students for two 75-minute sessions each week and spend an additional 30 minutes in preparation per week per student, working for a total of 3 hours each week per student.
- may be assigned one or two students per semester.
- conduct sessions entirely in Chinese and offer language and content assistance to assigned students.
- assist students in locating Chinese language articles related to their academic disciplines, discussing selected articles and practicing Chinese language vocabulary.
- maintain a weekly log of a student’s performance including pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary. Assist students with the creation of a spreadsheet of discipline-related vocabulary terms.
The IU Chinese Flagship Center will provide an orientation for discipline mentors at the beginning of each semester.
Discipline mentors must:
- be native Chinese speakers OR close to native level
- be currently enrolled at IU–Bloomington as a graduate student (undergraduate seniors may also be considered) OR have completed at least a Master’s degree
- have Chinese tutoring experience (at least one semester)
- be committed to work for at least one semester
- be punctual and maintain a relatively fixed schedule throughout the semester
- hold sessions in an academic space
- notify the Chinese Flagship Center if there is a change in the tutorial schedule or location, or when experiencing challenges with assigned students
Discipline mentors receive $11 per hour for 3 to 6 hours each week, depending on the number of assigned students. This hourly position is contingent upon the discipline mentor’s performance, availability of funds, and the needs of the Chinese Flagship Center.