Tutors and mentors must be available for an entire academic semester. Typically, those who have never tutored Chinese language formally are expected to be a volunteer tutor for at least one semester, obtain tutoring experience and understanding of how non-Chinese speakers learn Chinese, prior to applying to the discipline mentor position. At this time, we are accepting applications only for volunteer tutor positions.
Volunteer tutors meet with Flagship students once or twice per week (preferably twice) for one-on-one tutoring sessions lasting at least one hour; focus on developing students’ oral-aural skills, providing assistance with reading and writing only as needed; and conduct sessions entirely in Chinese.
IU’s Chinese Flagship Center will provide a tutor orientation at the beginning of each semester.
Volunteer tutors must:
- Be native Chinese speakers OR close to native level;
- Be currently enrolled at IU Bloomington as an undergraduate or graduate student OR have completed at least a Bachelor’s degree;
- Be high-achieving students in academic disciplines;
- Be mature, responsible, and willing to help others;
- Be committed to tutor for at least one semester;
- Be punctual and maintain a relatively fixed schedule throughout the semester;
- Hold tutorial sessions in an academic space.
All volunteer tutor positions for Spring 2014 have been filled. Applications for the Fall 2014 semester are currently being accepted.