Professor of Folklore
Chair of the Department
Director, Folklore Institute
Office: 504 N. Fess 202
Phone: (812) 855-1168
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 1987
- M.A. University of Pennsylvania, 1983
- B.A. Memorial University of Newfoundland, 1979
- Belief studies, folk medicine, folk religion, supernatural traditions, applied folklore, the ethnography of speaking, and narrative
Courses Recently Taught
- Ethnography of Belief
- Teaching Folklore & Ethnomusicology
- The Vernacular
- The Supernatural
- Personal Narrative
Awards and Distinctions
- President-elect of the American Folklore Society (2010)
- University Research Professor (2009)
- Brian McConnell Book Award for Haunting Experiences (2008)
- Named Fellow of the American Folklore Society (2007)
- 9/11 and After... Folklore in Times of Terror. Special Issue: Western Folklore, vol. 68, #3, 2009.
- Co-author [with Sylvia Grider and Jeannie Banks Thomas]. Haunting Experiences: Ghosts in Contemporary Folklore. Logan: Utah, Utah State University Press, 2007.
- Co-editor [with Heather Worth and Cindy Patton]. Reckless Vectors: AIDS and the Infecting "Other" in HIV/AIDS Law. Special Issue: Sexuality Research and Social Policy. University of California Press, vol. 2, #2, 2005.
- Once Upon A Virus: AIDS Legends and Vernacular Risk Perception. Logan: Utah, Utah State University Press, 2004.