Associate Professor of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
Office: 506 N. Fess Rm. 105
Phone: (812) 855-0396
E-mail: davmcdon indiana.edu
WFHB Interchange interview - On Palestinian Music and Politics
Read an IDS article here about Dr. McDonald's recent lecture on "Middle Eastern Intersections: Mobilizing Poetry in Protest Songs of the Arab World."
Read a feature on Dr. McDonald from the Center for the Study of the Middle East (CSME) newsletter here.
Read about Dr. McDonald receiving the Chicago Folklore Prize and the Jaap Kunst Prize here.
- Ph.D. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2006
- The Middle East; Israel/Palestine; Ireland; performance ethnography; social theory; ethnomusicological study of violence and socio-cultural trauma; refugee issues; activism and applied ethnomusicology
Courses Recently Taught
- Music in War, Music for Peace
- Music and Social LIfe: Performance and Community Action
- Irish Music and Culture
- Study of Ethnomusicology
- Zimbabwean Performance and Music
- Introduction to World Music and Cultures
- Popular Culture and Politics in the Middle East
- Activism, Engagement, and Critical Ethnography
- Paradigms in Ethnomusicology
- Fieldwork in Ethnomusicology
- Theories and Methods in Folklore and Ethnomusicology
- Music, Power, and Protest
Awards and Distinctions
- Chicago Folklore Prize (2014)
- Jaap Kunst Prize (2014)
- Qatar Foundation Research Fellowship (2014)
- Trustees Teaching Award (2012)
- New Frontiers in the Arts and Humanities Fellowship (2010-11)
- Institute for Advanced Study Interdisciplinary Research Seminar on Empathy (2009-10)
- New Frontiers Arts and Humanities Exploration Travel Fellowship (2009-10)
- Nicholas Temperley Dissertation Award, University of Illinois (2009)
- Outstanding Faculty Program Award, Arts Village, Bowling Green State University (2008)
- The American Center of Oriental Research Council of American Overseas Research Centers Fellowship (CAORC), Amman, Jordan (2005)
- Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowship (DDRA) (2003-04)
- Fulbright Institute for International Education Research Fellowship (IIE) (2003-04)
- My Voice is My Weapon: Music, Nationalism, and the Poetics of Palestinian Resistance. Duke University Press, Fall 2013.
- Palestinian Music and Song: Expression and Resistance since 1900. Indiana University Press, 2013.
- "Imaginaries of Exile and Emergence in Israeli Jewish and Palestinian Hip-Hop." The Drama Review. 57/3:69-87 (2013).
- "Geographies of the Body: Violence and Manhood in Palestine." Ethnomusicology Forum 19/2 (2010): 191-214.
- "Carrying Words like Weapons: Hip-Hop and the Poetics of Palestinian Identities in Israel" Min-Ad: Israel Studies in Musicology 7(2) (2009)
- "Poetics and the Performance of Violence in Israel/Palestine." Ethnomusicology 53 (1) (2009)