Associate Professor of Folklore;
Director of Graduate Studies
Office: 800 E 3rd St, Rm 255
Phone: (812) 856-1715
E-mail: pravina indiana.edu
WFHB Interchange Interview - On Body Art
- Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles, 1998
- Folk art and material culture; body art; dress and costume; museum studies; food art and culture; India; Brazil; United States
Courses Recently Taught
- Folk Art
- World Arts & Cultures
- Folklore in the United States
- Fieldwork in Folklore
- Body Art: Dress & Adornment
- Museums & Material Culture
- Food: Art & Culture
Awards and Distinctions
- Indiana University New Frontiers in the Arts and Humanities Exploratory Travel Fellowship (2014)
- Indiana University College Arts & Humanities Institute (CAHI) Travel and Research Grant (2014)
- Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award (2010)
- A.K. Coomaraswamy Book Prize by the South Asian Council of the Association for Asian Studies, for The Grace of Four Moons. Awarded to "the author of the best English-language work in South Asian studies" (2010)
- Millia Davenport Publication Award of the Costume Society of America, for The Grace of Four Moons, awarded for "excellence in scholarship in the study of costume” (2009)
- Indiana University College Arts & Humanities Institute (CAHI) Travel and Research Grant (2009)
- Indiana University Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies Research Travel Grant (2008)
- Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award (2007)
- Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award (2002)
- The Silk Road Project Research Grant (2001)
- Indiana University Summer Faculty Fellowship (2001)
- Costume: Performing Identities through Dress. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2015.
- The Individual and Tradition: Folkloristic Perspectives. Ray Cashman, Tom Mould, and Pravina Shukla, Eds. Indiana University Press, 2011.
- The Grace of Four Moons: Dress, Adornment, and the Art of the Body in Modern India. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2008.
- "The Future of Dress Scholarship: Sartorial Autobiographies and the Social History of Clothes." Dress: The Annual Journal of the Costume Society of America, Vol. 41, No. 1, 2015: 53-68.
- Shukla, Pravina, Ed. “Dress, Costume, and Bodily Adornment as Material Culture,” Special Issue, Midwestern Folklore, 32(1/2) (spring/fall 2006).
- “Evaluating Saris: Social Tension and Aesthetic Complexity in the Textile of Modern India.” Western Folklore, 67(2/3) (spring/summer 2008): 162-177.
- “An Introduction to the Study of Dress and Bodily Adornment.” Midwestern Folklore, 32 (1/2) (spring/fall 2006): 5-12.
- “The Study of Dress and Adornment as Social Positioning.” Material History Review, 61: (Spring 2005): 4-16.
- “Afro-Brazilian Avatars: Gandhi’s Sons Samba in South America.” Indian Folklore Research Journal, 1(1) (2001): 35-45.
- "Beads of Identity in Salvador da Bahia." In Beads, Body, and Soul: Art and Light in the Yoruba Universe, Henry J. Drewal and John Mason, eds., Fowler Museum of Cultural History, University of California, Los Angeles, 1998, pp. 187-197.