Career Placement Service
- Department held repository of your letters of recommendation. New letters may be added at any time, and old letters removed from current circulation. You may also request specific letters for individual mailings.
- Mailings of letters of recommendation by the Department of French and Italian in a professionally presented package.
- One-time advance fee of $7.50 (which covers $7.50 worth of mailings).
- After the first $7.50 is used, the following charges will apply:
- each US mailing is $1.25
- each international mailing is $2.50
- each packet sent by fax is $0.75
- each packet sent by e-mail (pdf) is $0.50
- ALL PAYMENTS MUST BE MADE IN ADVANCE.
To Initiate Services
- Complete an enrollment form or send a letter with the following information:
a. Name (please use the same name that you will use in your application materials)
b. Current Address
c. Current E-mail Address
d. Current Phone Number
- Send a personal check for at least $7.50* made out to Indiana University with "Career Placement Initiation Fee" written in the Memo line. Only checks drawn from personal, US bank accounts will be accepted. Checks must be written in blue or black ink.
- Send a signed copy of the waiver form.
- Ask your recommenders to send/submit their original letters to the Graduate Secretary.
- All information should be sent to the Graduate Secretary at the address at the end of this page.
* You are welcome and encouraged to pay additional money at any time in order to ensure that we are able to send out mailings as job deadlines approach without having to wait on your payment. We maintain records of all payments made as well as the mailings that have been sent out (for 5 years from the initiation date of your account), so you can rest assured that you will only be asked for additional funding when necessary. You should be aware, however, that we are unable to refund unused fees. Plan wisely.
Once your file has been created, letters can be sent out at any time, assuming that there are sufficient funds in your account, by e-mailing the Graduate Secretary at fritgsindiana.edu with the following information:
- Make the subject line of your e-mail: Career Placement
- In the main body of your e-mail, send the name(s) and address(es) where you wish to have your file sent.
- If you wish to specify which letters to send, please do so. Otherwise all letters will be sent for each application.
- Domestic mailings can take as long as 2 weeks to make it from our office to their destination. Please plan accordingly. International mailings could take much longer.
- No files can be sent out until there are sufficient funds in your account to cover the mailings. Build in time to get payment to the office in advance of the 2 week mailing period.
New letters may be added to your file and old letters removed at any time. Just contact the Graduate Secretary and advise her of any changes you would like to have made.
Your Career Placement File will be kept open for five years from the date of creation, unless you request to have it held open after this time. Please remember that employers are interested in recent references, so you will want to have your recommenders submit new letters if you intend to use the service after the initial five-year period. Please also remember that all payments must be used within five years of the date of creation or they will be forfeited and considered a donation to the Department of French and Italian.
If you have questions at any time about the creation or maintenance of your Career Placement file, or about your payment history, do not hesitate to contact the Graduate Secretary.
Contact Information for All Career Placement Correspondence
Nick Miller, Graduate Secretary
Department of French and Italian, Indiana University
1020 E. Kirkwood Avenue
Ballantine Hall 642
Bloomington, IN 47405-7103