What the course comprises
What occurs within the class
Details of the recommended class text
A summary of course objectives, the sequence of topics and themes and
the course components
What the lectures cover
How learning in the course is assessed
Who to contact for more information
- Simon Brassell, Professor of Geological Sciences
- email: email@example.com (use this address for class questions)
- phone: 855-3786
- office: GY313 (Geology Building)
- office hours: Thursdays 1:20 to 2:20 p.m.,
or by appointment.
- Associate Instructor:
- Liming Zhu, Graduate Student in Geological Sciences
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- office: GY229 (Geology Building)
- office hours: By appointment.
Comments on Instructor
Responsibilities and Student Learning
- Our main goal is to develop your understanding of ocean
- We want you to succeed in this class, please let us help
you in this endeavor.
- Make use of the resources available:
- Text, on-line study guide, visuals, and
- If you are unsure about any class material, please ask
- Ask for help with the web-based exercises if you're
unsure about the questions. Don't waste hours of time struggling to
- If you have problems with access to Oncourse contact
- I always try to provide prompt responses to email
messages, unless the answer can be readily found on the class web pages
check the web first.
- Please follow simple guidelines for email etiquette:
- Always include a title in the
subject line, preferrably referencing G131.
without a subject may be mistaken as spam and deleted without being
- Send all messages to email@example.com
- Always check for information on
the class web pages first.
- You are
less likely to receive a prompt reply if the answer to your enquiry is
accessible among information on the web.
- Always begin your message by addressing the
- Start your message by acknowledging the addressee, e.g.
Hi Simon, Dear Professor, etc.
- Email messages sometimes get sent to the wrong person
or to an incorrect address.
- Always author your message with
- This helps
us to identify the author of the message - not all email addresses are
- It informs
us how you preferred to be addressed.
- Office hours operate on a first-come, first-served basis,
no appointment is necessary.
- If the set times for office hours aren't convenient for
contact us by email to arrange a separate, mutually convenient time for
- Communication is vital.
- Please keep me informed about illnesses and absences.
- Please notify us immediately if you're unable to fulfill
any of the class requirements.
- Our willingness to accept late assignments and facilitate
alternate arrangements is directly proportional to the timeliness of
- You are encouraged to discuss
Reflective Questions with classmates, and the groups are
intended to faciltiate
- Note, however, that your answers are intended
represent your individual effort in completing the exercise
your answers to the final questions MUST
be written in your own choice of words.
- I reserve the right to award zero points to
who submit identical answers to the written questions.
Consultation with other students for the timed is On-line Quizzes is NOT
permitted. These assignments are designd to test what you learnt
the exercise and should to be answered individually..
- All of the written examinations are closed book, but you
welcome to consult the information on the maps on the classroom walls.