Examination and evaluation of real-time oceanographic data on the internet
Tectonics and Ocean Basins:
- The principal aims of the individual assignments are as follows:
- to explore the occurrence and characteristics of recent global earthquakes.
- to evaluate the rates of plate motion and to determine and compare
rates of seafloor spreading.
- to examine the tectonics of California from earthquake records.
- to investigate the positions and features of active volcanoes.
- to explore the topography of the ocean floor.
- to determine the history of ocean basins and the changes in continental
configurations over geological time.
- The overall objective of these assignments is to demonstrate how
these phenomena support the theory of plate tectonics, and how their characteristics
and features can be explained by this unifying concept.
- This set of exercises comprises
- Two required exercises:
- The following additional exercises (due October 7):
- Apologies, the following exercises could not be given because
of the disappearance of critical websites
- History of Ocean Basins
- The initial required exercise for Set 2 is now:
- All components should be submitted via
- Brief instructions for accessing
are given on the preliminary exercise page (go
Notice Board and News:
- See Notes under Timetable
- I will post any announcements, changes, modifications, updates
or suggestions here.
- If any of the sites become accessible, I will provide information
about alternatives or additions here.
- If you encounter any difficulties with access to any of the sites
please notify me by email (
) and I will attempt to resolve problems, or suggest
other options as soon as possible.
Department of Geological Sciences,
1001 E. Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405-1403
Phone: (812) 855-5582 Last updated: 15 September 2002
2002, The Trustees of Indiana University