Examination and evaluation of real-time oceanographic data on the internet
- This exercise is one that is optional
. You may choose to answer this exercise or one of the other Set #1 optional
- It involves examination of a listing of recent earthquakes from California
and other regions in the U.S. on the internet and assessment of their characteristics.
- The questions are given on the next pages (
) and in oncourse
- Answers to all questions should be submitted via
- Check the exercise set I noticeboard (
) for announcements.
Information on Californian Earthquakes
- Links to maps of real-time earthquake maps for specific regions, seismogram
displays and other sites containing general information are presented at:
- The information includes determinations of earthquake magnitude based
on the seismic records, and various approaches to assessments of earthquake
intensity using shake maps that are developed from assessment of the effects
of the earthquake.
- The primary focus is on events in California, but seismicity associated
with the New Madrid fault in the mid-west is also examined.
- If any of the sites become inaccessible, I will provide information
about alternatives or additions in the announcements here (
- If you encounter any difficulties with access to any of the sites
please notify me by email (
) and I will attempt to resolve problems, or suggest
other options as soon as possible.
Department of Geological Sciences,
1001 E. Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405-1403
Phone: (812) 855-5582 Last updated: 30 September 2002
2002, The Trustees of Indiana University