Examination and evaluation of real-time oceanographic data on the internet
- This exercise is one that is required
- It involves examination of the relative rates of plate motion based
on three separate methodologies:
- Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI).
- Global Positioning Systems (GPS).
- Calculations of plate velocity and seafloor spreading (NUVEL-1).
- The questions are given on the next three pages (
) and in oncourse
- Answers to all questions should be submitted via
- Check the exercise set I noticeboard (
) for announcements.
Spreading Rates Information and Websites:
- A major goal of this assignment is to evaluate the relative motion
of tectonic plates.
- There are several different websites that are targeted for this exercise
that offer different approaches and data sets to explore spreading rates
and plate motion.
- Both global and regional data from VLBI data is examined.
- Plate motion based on GPS measurements is investigated on a global
- Websites that enable access to the NUVEL-1 program for calculation
of seafloor spreading rates and plate velocities are:
- If any of the sites become inaccessible, I will provide information
about alternatives or additions in the announcements here (
- If you encounter any difficulties with access to any of the sites
please notify me by email (
) and I will attempt to resolve problems, or suggest
other options as soon as possible.
Department of Geological Sciences,
1001 E. Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405-1403
Phone: (812) 855-5582 Last updated: 23 September 2002
2002, The Trustees of Indiana University