Examination and evaluation of real-time oceanographic data on the internet
TOPOGRAPHY OF THE OCEAN FLOOR
Topography of the Ocean Floor:
- Aim: to recognize and explore the characteristics of a variety of features
of the ocean floor, and aspects of their relationship to plate tectonic processes.
- Websites for global topographic maps:
- Website for generation of 3-D maps of ocean floor topography:
- Contents: listings of links to topographic maps.
- individual regional maps of seafloor bathymetry.
- user-specified 3-D images of seafloor topography.
Procedures for Maps of Ocean Floor Bathymetry:
- Two separate sites provide global maps of ocean floor topography:
- The first site provides a large bathymetric image of the entire Earth's
- A smaller version of this map with 16 clickable regions is found here:
- Each regional map can be separately viewed as a thumbnail and selected
- An explanation of the methodology used to compile the bathymetric
map is given at:
- The color scale for the bathymetric maps is given in the preceeding
link and also here:
- The second set of images is one of many views of the Earth that can
be produced from the NOAA National Data Center.
- The color scale for the altitude/bathymetry of the image is given
Procedures for Generating 3-D Images of the Ocean
- The procedures for this part of the exercise are described on the first
of questions relating to user-generated 3-D images.
Introduction to Questions on the Topography of the
- A separate
provides descriptions of bathymetric features of the ocean floor.
- The questions are outlined in three separate tables:
- question sets for investigation of plan views (
- a question set for exploration of 3-D views (
- Reminder: you should submit your answers via
Department of Geological Sciences,
1001 E. Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405-1403
Phone: (812) 855-5582 Last updated: 6 October 2002
2000, The Trustees of Indiana University