What the course comprises.
Topics for discussion sessions and links to information on these
Access to class materials and reference to relevant text chapters for
Details of position papers
A summary of course themes and learning objectives
The planned sequence of coverage for lecture topics
Questions Concerning the Gaia Hypothesis
- How would you define the Gaia hypothesis?
- What are its central principles?
- Are there different views of Gaia?
- Are all elements of the hypothesis equally weighted?
- What arguments substantiate or refute the principles of the
- What theoretical evidence confirms them?
- What observations or measurement provide support for the
- What are the major weaknesses of the hypothesis?
- How can the validity of this hypothesis be tested?
- How has the hypothesis been tested?
- Has the hypotheis proven its utility through predictions?
- Are there aspects of Gaia that cannot be tested?
- How does the Gaia hypothesis influence our
view of the Earth, or other planets?
- What lessons can be learned from the hypothesis regarding
- How does it potentially shape visions of Earth's
- How does it influence perspectives on planetary evolution?
- Is the concept applicable to all planets and are they
Websites with Resources and Information on the
- Introductions to the Gaia hypothesis
Department of Geological Sciences,
1001 E. Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405-1403
Phone: (812) 855-5582 Last updated: 12 March 2006
2000, The Trustees of Indiana University