Some Questions About Musical Rhythm
- Where is rhythm, in the music or in the mind or both?
- What's the relationship between the perception and production
To what extent to they make use of the same knowledge?
- What does it mean to perceive (understand, recognize, classify)
- How can you measure (test) rhythm perception and production?
- How great is individual variation in rhythm perception and
- What effect does musical training or experience have on the
perception and production of rhythm?
- What makes one rhythm more pleasing (or interesting) than another?
- What makes one rhythm more difficult (to "understand", to produce)
- How much of rhythm cognition is universa as opposed to
culture-specific, that is, learned?
- How is rhythm learned?
- What is rhythm anyway?
Take me back to the Rhythm and Cognition
Last updated: 10 October 1995
Copyright 1995, The Trustees of