Discussion Questions: 30 Jan
- What are the implications of Quine's argument for a theory
- What are the consequences of Markman's interpretation of
the "indeterminacy of translation" for a theory of meaning?
For a theory of lexical acquisition?
- Are children objectivists, by Markman's reasoning?
- Once again, what does Markman mean by innate?
- What is Siegler's worry about constraints? Is it a
- Consider some of the details that would need to be dealt with
in making Markman's constraints work.
- What steps would the child need to go through to appropriately
apply the taxonomic and exclusivity constraints?
- What would happen when the child is confronted with a verb?
In particular, what if a complete utterance consists of just a verb
(as is common in many languages)?
- How would the child override the exclusivity constraint
in learning a word like pet or animal?
- What sort of theorists would be opposed to Markman's and
Quine's arguments about indeterminacy?
How would they respond to these arguments?
Last updated: 29 January 1997