Skip to main content
Campus Scene

Frequently Asked Questions

Below, we have tried to answer the most common questions visitors to our website have. If you find that your question is not answered on this page, please contact us.

Q: I want to declare an undergraduate Gender Studies MINOR, how can I do this?

A: If you are a College of Arts and Sciences student we are pleased to offer a simple e-mail process to complete your declaration of the minor. Declare your intent through an e-mail to our undergraduate advisor. When contacting our undergraduate advisor, make sure to include your full name, e-mail address, and student identification number. Declaring an undergraduate minor usually requires a two-day processing period.

Please note that the process above only applies to students in the College of Arts and Sciences. If you are in Journalism or another school on campus, then please e-mail your own undergraduate advisor for more information. If you are student of the Kelley School of Business, then you may declare a Gender Studies minor by obtaining a minor declaration form from the information counter.

More information on the Undergraduate Minor.

Q: I want to declare an undergraduate Gender Studies MAJOR, how can I do this?

A: If you are a College of Arts and Sciences student wishing to declare a Gender Studies major, then we require you to meet with our departmental undergraduate advisor. When you contact our undergraduate advisor, include your full name, e-mail address, and student identification number. You must also include your scheduled open times for the week, then an appointment time will be assigned and e-mailed to you.

Once you meet with our undergraduate advisor to formalize an undergraduate major, two days are required for processing. More Information on the Undergraduate Major.

Q: I took a Gender Studies class abroad or at another university, how do I get this course evaluated for transfer credit?

A: You may have an appropriate course evaluated for transfer credit by submitting a copy of the course syllabus and catalog course description to our departmental undergraduate advisor. If no syllabus is available for the course, then you may submit the catalog course description with papers and assignments completed for the course. Materials should be submitted with a cover page that contains your name, e-mail address, and student identification number to our undergraduate advisor's mailbox in the Gender Studies Departmental Office Room 130, Memorial Hall East.

Course evaluations require a week to process.

Q: How can I take a G480: Practicum course through Gender Studies?

A: A G480: Practicum allows students to gain field experience by working in an internship or on a gender-related research project. Students must arrange for both a faculty sponsor and an internship opportunity. Students in the past have made arrangements in area and community service programs such as Middle way House and Planned Parenthood as well as the Kinsey Institute and as researchers on individual faculty research projects.

For more information see the G480: Practicum course description.

Q: How can I take G495: Readings and Research in Gender Studies?

A: The G495: Readings and Research course is individually arranged between a student and appropriate faculty. Readings courses are intended to focus on a specific topic not covered in general course offerings or to provide additional depth on a selected topic. Readings course requires a course authorization from Gender Studies as well as the submission of a reading list and course contract.

For more information see the G495: Readings and Research course description.

Q: What can I do with Gender Studies?

A: In 2002, we surveyed nearly 100 IU Gender Studies graduates, and we discovered that 31% work at Universities (22% professors), 15% are in management positions in business, 13% in law, 8% in pre-college or community education, 6% in computer-related fields, 6% in publishing, 5% in medicine, and 5% in government or politics. The remaining graduates were in some kind of social service or not-for-profit work, including psychology and counseling.

Gender Studies Graduates Are:

  • Web developers at Lucent
  • Attorneys
  • Executive editors of national magazines
  • Child psychiatrists
  • Assistant directors of retirement communities
  • Communications coordinators
  • University Kinesiology Professors
  • Professional counselors
  • Educators
  • Social workers
  • Philosophers
  • Communication specialists
  • Middle school teachers
  • Elementary school counselors
  • Directors of civic theatres
  • Speech & Hearing specialists
  • Public Health professionals
  • Librarians & MIS graduates
  • Branch managers of libraries
  • Editors at book publishing houses
  • Sportswriters for newspapers
  • Children & family program coordinators
  • Arts administrators
  • Directors of women's studies programs
  • Budget analysts
  • Creative writing teachers Fundraising officers at the American Red Cross
  • Directors of publications at non-profit agencies
  • Public relations directors
  • Financial aid directors at universities
  • Non-fiction writers
  • Field organizers for presidential campaigns