THIS IS WHAT WE STUDY: A SAMPLING OF PROJECTS AND OUTREACH IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES
New Summer Field Course in Geoarchaeological Methods
G490/690 Field Course in Geoarchaeological Methods Join our field team as we learn about rockshelter formation, 10,000+ years of human occupation, and environmental change!
During our 3-week, 3-credit field course we will introduce graduate and undergraduate students to geoarchaeological methods through hands-on work at the Rockhouse Hollow Rockshelter in the Hoosier National Forest (Perry County, southern Indiana). Go to the course website for more information.
Curiosity Rover On Mars
IU Bloomington geologist reports results of Mars mineralogy investigation. more
IU geologists David Bish and Juergen Schieber analyze data from Curiosity’s instruments. more
IU on Mars – David Bish and Juergen Schieber article on Inside IU Bloomington
NASA: Latest News from Mars
- IU Geoscience Researchers are returning from Greenland for the final winter campaign of a NASA Grant. Scientists Lisa Pratt, Jeff White, Seth Young, Sarah Cadieux and Amy Goldman (Indiana University), Gale Paulsen and Boleslaw Mellerowicz (Honeybee Robotics) are now in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland for a 2-week field campaign at the group’s research site. The campain will run until April 16th. See more at the research website
- Dr. Michael Hamburger recipiant of The W. George Pinnell Award for Outstanding Service. more
- Geology and Paleoanthropology Field School in Tanzania May 13-June 24 2014 G349/549. Applications are now being accepted for a new field course. Application deadline is April 10th. This Geo-paleoanthropology course will take advantage of IU’s long established reputation for field school instruction in the Earth sciences.more
- The Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship. The Department of Geological Sciences at Indiana University celebrates Mary Iverson’s extraordinary impact on the department with the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship, If you would like to contribute to the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship, please follow this link.
GeoSci Research Focus Sites
- GRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate Student 2013-2014 Handbook and Annual Review forms
- Student Travel Support Request Form
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
- Society of Economic Geologists–IU Student Chapter
- IU Geophysical Society
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Jim Brophy, Director of Undergraduate Studies,
- Carlin C. Schrag Undergraduate Academic Advisor.
- Undergraduate classes in geological sciences. Most of these courses fulfill the Natural and Mathematical Sciences requirements.
- Summer 2014 Geosciences Schedule of Classes
- April 28: Becky Lange, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Title: The origin of voluminous, highly differentiated rhyolites, the most evolved magmas on Earth, and the resolution of several paradoxes4:00 p.m. GY143. Refreshments served at 3:30 in the Geology lobby. more
Events & Calendar